I’m sure I’ve mentioned (R would probably say ‘grumbled’) that I haven’t been doing much photography of late. That is to say that I still need to find a way to fit countryside walks into my weekly routine, and to do the kind of photography I prefer to do. However, that does not mean that the camera hasn’t been used. I’ve been doing some experimental stuff at home (more of that another time) and this weekend I got around to setting up the telescope and testing it out.
I went for the simplest possible target, and it still doesn’t fail to gratify and amaze every time. I also took the opportunity to fit the camera instead of the eyepiece and figure out whether that combination works well and what the limitations are. I must say I’m rather satisfied, for a first try. The telescope in question (a Celestron Nexstar 114GT) has a 1000mm focal length, so on my full-frame camera it has more than three times the pulling power of my longest telephoto lens.
To take this photo, I obviously had the telescope tripod mounted. I did not have any motorized system running as the required shutter speed was fast enough to avoid the need. I exposed for the lunar surface, and used the self-timer to avoid shake. I also had live view on, which locks up the mirror, avoiding the vibrations associated with that. At these focal lengths, it actually matters. In post I cropped to tighten the composition and went for a square format as there was only one simple subject. I used a global curves layer to adjust contrast, and that was it.
Click on the photo for a larger version; comments welcome, and of course feel free to share the link.