It has been a year since my return to Malta. It has also taken that long to really start settling in, and there are still a few things that will need attending to over the coming weeks. I find it usually takes about a year to get used to a place, and for routines to settle. Thankfully most things are in place, and the few important ones that remain are in progress.
Anyway, I thought I’d mark the occasion with a bonus post. A few weeks ago I decided to revisit an old photo of mine, one that I was rather happy with at the time. Since then my sensibilities have changed, and my skills in the digital darkroom have improved (as in: I find it easier now to get what I want). So I thought I’d take a leaf from the books of the old masters (photographers that is) and emulate what would happen in a chemical darkroom. That is, I decided to reprocess the image from the RAW file, with similar intent to what I had done before, but using the newer tools (and knowledge) at my disposal. This is, after all, what would happen when printing again from a negative.
Largely I followed the same approach as before: combining two exposures, one for the sky and one for the foreground, and adjusting exposure and contrast to balance things out. I think this is a marked improvement, and definitely closer to what I had (or have) in mind. If you want to compare, take a look at the old version. And let me know what you think!