This page contains resources useful for rock climbing in Malta, whether sport or trad. Highlights are the topos for new routes, opened by myself or my climbing partners, and a facsimile of the classic John Graham guidebook from the 1970s.
Routes / Topos
The following is a list of topos for routes opened by myself or my climbing partners. Each link leads to a downloadable PDF, which is intended to be printed on A5 paper. If you would like to share these, please do so by sharing a link to this page – do not post the PDFs directly on other websites or social media.
- Wied Babu, 2022. Eight new trad pitches or variations on existing lines, in the multi-pitch seaside crag.
- Wied il-Bassasa, 2022. Three new trad routes, in the previously undeveloped west wied.
- In-Nigret, 2022. Two new trad routes, one in Crucifix Cave and another in Monolith Buttress. A selection of existing routes in these sectors are also documented.
- Għar Lapsi, 2019. Two new trad routes in the Commando Ratlines sector. Four existing trad routes in that sector are also documented.
- Wied Anġlu, 2018. Ten new trad routes and two new sport routes in the Anġlu Crack sector. Four existing trad routes in that sector are also documented.
The following is a list of known climbing guidebooks for the Maltese islands, current and historical, with the most recent shown first. At the time of writing, Alden et al., 2013 and Codling et al., 2007 are in print (the latter has been recently reprinted); a link to the publisher’s website is provided where this was requested. For books that are out of print, copies occasionally show themselves on the used books market. Additionally, where I have obtained permission from the publishers, a link will lead you to a PDF that can be browsed on the web or through Google Drive.
- S. Alden, J. Camilleri, and S. Haston, Sport Climbing in Malta & Gozo, Tufa Publications, 2013.
- X. Hancock, The Adventure Guidebook to the Maltese Islands, Hancock Ltd, 2009. ISBN: 9789993206439
- J. Codling, A. Warrington, and R. Abela, Malta Rock Climbing: the comprehensive guide, Moonstone Communications, 2007. [Link to publisher]
- X. Hancock, Gozo Adventures Guidebook, Hancock Ltd, 2006. ISBN: 9789993204695
- R. Brookes and S. Alden, Malta New Climbs, Fylde Mountaineering Club, 1987.
- J. D. Graham, Rock Climbing in Malta, Royal Naval Mountaineering Club, Undated (c. 1971). [PDF, with permission from the publishers]
- S. Styles, Walks and Climbs in Malta, Midland Association of Mountaineers, printed and published by Progress Press, Valletta (first published 1949, 2nd impression 1952, 3rd impression 1960).